Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Virtual Cardiology Lab

Recently, we were assigned to perform a virtual cardiology lab from Howard Hughes Medical Institute(HHMI). The purpose of this assignment is to focus on heritable diseases of the heart, and what you would do if you were a cardiologist. Actually, you aren't the cardiologist, you are the assistant. HHMI performed the lab this way so you could see what the cardiologist does and how you have to assist him while examining the patients heart. This blog is just an opinion page to see what I liked about the lab, and what I thought about it. I won't exactly explain the lab, because you can take the virtual lab yourself and see what you think about it. Personally, I think the lab was easy to perform because you get told what steps to perform. But, if I was a cardiologist I would make sure I was completely comfortable with my patients and diagnosing problems because their life is basically in your hands! At a patients point of view, you better believe I would make sure I got the best cardiologist I could find because if there is something wrong with my heart, I want to know exactly what it is, and what exactly I could do to resolve the problem. The lab does however give you a few quizzes to see if you know what you're doing, I won't lie I didn't do very well. But, then again I am a senior in high school and not a cardiologist. This is the dictionary definition of a cardiologist so you all can get a better understanding of their specialties:
Cardiology (from Greek καρδίᾱkardiā, "heart"; and -λογία-logia) is a medical specialty dealing with disorders of the heart (specifically the human heart). The field includes medical diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart defectscoronary artery diseaseheart failure,valvular heart disease and electrophysiologyPhysicians who specialize in this field of medicine are called cardiologists. Physicians who specialize in cardiac surgery are called cardiac surgeons.
     I also found a good picture that could give a visual image of a cardiologist and how he helps his patients:
I will also add a youtube video about a  cardiologist that you can view here. I would have made my own video but this particular one was more detailed than the rest. Bear through the first 30 seconds, I dont know what exactly they were trying to do with that, but after that the rest of the video should work out for you. Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog!

1 comment:

  1. Heart care is very challenging in heritable diseases of the heart, one of the heart care center in pune, India providing best cardiology services.

    ReplyDelete